Monday, May 26, 2014

Turkey a' la Webber

The first stage is 12 - 16 brickets banked on the sides of the grill. This grate has hinged sides that will let me add more coals durrng the cooking.

The raw turkey was brined over night, then rubbed with lemon and then olive oil.

MIND THE GAP- setting the top on with a nice crack to let air in is critical to having  a good fire. If you leave the top off, the heat escapes. If you put the top on tight the coals cool and the heat gets damp and that messes up the skin.

Here the bird is partially cooked. When I add charcoal I also add twigs of green wood to get a nice smoke going in the grills dome. If is is a windy day the gap will be very small to hold the heat. On this day there was no wind and I set a larger gap.

After about 5 hours on the grill the bird is cooked. I use a meat thermometer. After I take if off the grill I  then turned it over to rest for a bit before starting to carve.

No comments:

Post a Comment